Sunday, February 17, 2013

Happy (belated) Valentine's Day!

Happy belated Valentine's Day, everyone! I didn't have time to post on the day, but it's the weekend now so I've had time.

Some of the things I've missed most about elementary school this year are the lack of recess, tougher classes and teachers, and more homework. On Thursday, I added something else to that list. No class parties on Valentine's Day! In middle school, they sell carnations that you can have delivered to someone else in the school. Though that might sound like a good idea, it really isn't, at least for people like me. Now the whole day has just turned into an excuse for the popular girls to rub it in everyone else's faces that they're desired by the other gender and we're not.

At least I still got to dress up, like I used to in elementary school. No flowers or teddy bears for me, but my friends and I still exchanged valentines, so the day wasn't a complete letdown.

I ran upstairs as soon as I got home to open my cards.


Ginger came over to investigate the pile.

The first I picked up was the one from Zoe. It was drawn to resemble a soccer ball, and at first I thought Zoe had made it herself. Then the Whitmans logo and the price tag on the back gave it away; it was store-bought, as always.

Underneath that were the cards from my school friends.


Here are all the cards I got, minus Zoe's. Aren't they pretty?

I looked up when I realized Ginger wasn't next to me anymore. She was a few feet away, lifting the lid off of a heart-shaped box of chocolates with her nose.

I shooed her away before she could eat any. She whined and gave me her best puppy eyes, but I wasn't falling for it.
I picked up the box. It wasn't mine - maybe Mom had put it in our room as a surprise?

I turned to ask Zoe if it was hers, and I stopped dead.

In her hands was a huge bouquet of roses. My first reaction was to think that it wasn't hers. Then I caught sight of the card.

Zoe looked disgusted; I was shocked. I opened the card to see who it was from.

The inside and the back were blank!
"Zoe? Who gave this to you?" I asked.
"I have no idea," she responded. "I found them on the floor next to that box of chocolates, and I thought they were yours. Then I saw my name on the card."
I picked up the bouquet. Who could have sent them?


"Who would send flowers to you?" I asked in bewilderment. Zoe frowned, looking hurt, but I was so jealous that I didn't care. How was it that she got flowers and chocolates and I didn't? Zoe still thought that boys were only good for playing sports, and would sooner arm-wrestle one than kiss one. I had the strongest urge to tear them up or throw them in the trash, and might have actually done so had Mom not called up to us:
"Girls! Dinnertime!"
Zoe went downstairs and I slowly followed after. Even the prospect of my mom's special Valentine's Day Mint Fudge Tart wasn't enough to cheer me up. My Valentine's Day had gone from very disappointing to even more so, and there was nothing I could do about it.

How was your Valentine's Day? Do you, like Zoe, have any secret admirers?

That's all for now! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated Valentine's Day, Charlotte and Zoe!

    My Valentine's Day went great! I'm in 7th grade, and we don't have Valentine parties in class anymore either. Our school doesn't sell flowers like yours does, though, which I guess is good for some and bad for others. The couples just bring in flowers for each other. I did happen to have a secret admirer this year! I thought it was very strange, considering I received the valentine at my party, but no one I had invited had given it to me, even just as a joke. I'm really curious about who it could be! I'm sorry you felt so bad, Charlotte! I know you'll feel better about it soon. Once again, happy belated Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani!

      Lucky you! I've never gotten a valentine from a secret admirer, but I've always wanted one. I wonder who it could be! Have fun figuring out the mystery! In the meantime, I'll try to figure out who sent one to Zoe...

      Hope to see you soon!
      - Charlotte & Zoe

      Delete