Thursday, July 4, 2013

Picking Strawberries / Happy 4th of July!

Hey everybody! Happy 4th of July! The rain here finally stopped this morning and the sun even managed to make an appearance, just in time for the holiday. 

Every year on the 4th, Mom makes a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert after our family barbeque, and decorates the top with sliced strawberries and blueberries to look like an American flag. She didn't realize until this morning that we were out of strawberries, so she asked me to head down to the patch in the lot down the road to pick some. I tossed some bug spray and a bucket in a backpack, strapped on my bike helmet, and headed down the road in the direction of the empty lot.

Once I reached the lot, I realized that it was the ideal time to be picking strawberries - every plant that I could see had at least one or two ripe, bright scarlet berries dangling from its leaves.


I spotted a particularly large strawberry and bent down to pick it up.


Since it had been growing so low to the ground, it had a few pieces of dirt and some pebbles on its outer layer of skin, which I brushed off before I dropped it in my bucket.

 I continued my search for berries in the thick bushes at the back of the lot.

Hidden in the deep grasses, I found one of the largest strawberries I'd ever seen! After some deliberation, I popped it in my mouth as opposed to in the bucket - it just looked too good not to eat right away!
A little while later, I heard a distant rumble, and looked up to see dark clouds gathering above me. I sighed. But it hadn't started raining quite yet, so I thought I'd gather a few more strawberries before it did.


When I felt the first few drops, I had to be satisfied with what I had picked, though it was hardly half a bucket.

The rumbles of thunder had gotten much closer, so I grabbed the bucket and ran down the dirt road towards our driveway before the rain could reach me.
The downpour started just as I reached our front porch. Zoe and I took the strawberries that Mom didn't need for her cake out onto the screen porch, where we ate them as we watched the rain coming down.

The downpour was over by lunchtime, and the sun came out again soon afterwards, which means that our barbeque and fireworks are still on for this afternoon! I can't wait! What does your family do on the 4th of July? Do you have any favorite traditions?

That's all for now! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute photo story! :] I love to pick strawberries in the summertime. Your dolls are adorable!
    Bella @ Doll Mag

    ReplyDelete