Sunday, December 8, 2013

Happy (very belated) Thanksgiving!

Hey everyone! Happy, um, well, 10 days after Thanksgiving! Sorry I didn't post on the actual day - we were too busy watching football and cooking and eating and doing all those classic, stereotypical Thanksgiving things to do much of anything else.

I turned on the TV as soon as I got up to watch the Macy's Parade. I liked watching the marching bands the best. I think I'd like to be in our school's marching band someday, if I ever get good enough. Maybe play the piccolo! That would be so much fun.
After the parade was over, the National Dog Show came on. I had planned to start my homework after the parade was over, but who can work on a holiday? Ginger came over after a while to watch with me. She liked the golden retriever the best - of course she would - but I think the little yellow Chow Chow was my favorite - all that fluffy fur looked so soft! Mom made us turn it off after a while, saying I'd already watched way too much for one morning, and enlisted me to help her put the turkey in the oven.

After I helped her with the cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing, baked potatoes, salad, and dinner rolls, she let me go. She had plenty of help from the cousins and aunts and uncles that were beginning to swarm the kitchen as they arrived, carload by carload. Of course, there wasn't nearly enough time for me to get very far into my homework, so in an act of total boredom and desperation, I decided to plunk down on the sofa in our room with Zoe and watch a little football. And escape the crazy mess of cousins that waited for us downstairs.


Our dining room table was way too small to hold all the cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents that had showed up, so it was every man for himself - the lucky ones snagged places at the table, while others were stuck eating at the counter or in chairs along the wall. Zoe and I, at least, got a table to ourselves, even though it was off in a far corner of the dining room. Mom had set it up really nicely, though, so it didn't turn out to be that bad after all.



Mom started to light all the candles stuck into haphazard holders all around the room as everyone loaded up their plates and found places to sit. Dad stood up and said grace as soon as she was finished, then turned out the lights.
The room looked so pretty with the candles burning on all the tables and counters.
 


I'm so sorry I posted so late! Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? What do you do for the holiday? Do you get together with friends and all your extended family, or do you just have a small celebration at home? It can be really fun to get together with all our cousins and aunts and uncles, but sometimes I wish we were the latter; all the people in the house can get pretty overwhelming!
I'm so excited for Christmas this year! I already have some ideas for presents for Zoe and my parents, and my mom's been very secretive this weekend. Do you celebrate Christmas? Are you looking forward to the holiday season?

That's all for now! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment